The Poster Project is a non-profit in Syracuse, NY. For a project in UI/UX design we redesigned part of their outdated website to better serve their mission as well as the community.
Role: Art Director, Designer
Programs: Adobe XD
A few of the major issues after discussing the original website with the class were it was outdated, over cluttered, confusing, and lacked direction. I needed to design something that helped them get more donations both monetarily as well as services and supplies. I also needed to design something that was very organized and easy to process and navigate.
As a class we discussed who we thought would be visitors of this website and how we needed to design for them. We worked as a class group for some of the initial talks and design planning and then we broke off into our individual designs. Throughout we had critiques and made adjustments as we went until we all came up with and submitted our own unique designs for the Poster Project's website.
I wanted something that worked with their artsy side of the non-profit and that would be engaging for visitors to the website. I also wanted something that was still professional that would hold the attention of potential donors.
I then set up a design system so that I could have everything I needed in the same place and have easy access to colors, typefaces, and elements like the headers and footers.
The next step in the process was to create wire frames for the website based on our assessment of what the Poster Project needed to change in order to meet their goals. This included things like an updated header with a clear "Donate" button, clear direction to pages about donating, ways to get involved, and for artists to find more information.
The wire frames turned into these designs of the home page of the website. There is fun design elements, photos, color, while still being sophisticated and organized.
I chose a gallery slide design to show recent posters that people can click on directly from the home page to purchase or find more information about.
This section is very clearly laid out to direct people where they need to go whether they want to donate, volunteer, or participate in the program as an artist.
The next page I designed for the project was the donate page as that was the biggest pain point in the previous design of the website and the issues they were facing as an organization. They needed to get more people to donate and the people who wanted to donate needed a more clear and concise way to do so.
This page included where their money was going to within the organization so they could know what it was being used for and what resources they were helping with. It also included a sort of subscription that people could sign up for to donate regularly and enjoy perks from that. Another large way people could donate are with time and with materials so those were also included in the design.
The final version of both the home page.
the final version of the mobile design.
Result & Growth.
This was one of the most rewarding projects to me because it was one of the most real world projects I had ever done design wise. It was great to see the project from concept to finish and be able to problem solve in order to come up with a product that I would hope make the customer happy or at least a base to work off of in the right direction.